Friday, December 15, 2006

Charity begins here


Took my daughters friends to her school carols last night.
I had to do two trips.
One for my family and the other for the four of them.
I didn't mind the running round coz it's Christmas and i know they have had a rough trot.
These girls are from war torn Sudan and are all extremely tall and quite clever.
Surviving in a war zone will do that I guess.
They've only been here for 4 years or so and are getting awards for their English.
Their father was murdered, I can't get the real story and don't really feel like prying but I know he was shot, perhaps defending the church or perhaps walking to the shop to get the milk.
So I am really proud that M has befriended them.
It must be strange to stick out in this milky white, homogenised neighbourhood.
So this morning I was a little perturbed to find the glorious city of Tamworth has rejected five refugee families from Sudan.
Seems they don't want these poor, traumatised black people drinking their water and bringing diseases.
They dont want another Cronulla riot in their town.
Merry Christmas Tamworth.
I can see you have really taken Jesus's message to heart.
The parable about the good Samaritan, remember that one.
To be fair they reckon they have had some trouble with the last bunch of Sudanese they took in.
People from different cultures in war zones can be tricky to settle down I guess.
If I'd been shot at and seen members of my family murdered or starved I 'd be tricky to settle down too.
Tamworth where is your heart?
Where is that famous country kindness?
Coz I reckon Jesus is ashamed of your mean spirited, ugly actions so close to his birthday.
Hell you don't even deserve an invite to the party.

2 comments:

lily was here said...

When i moved to the country and then outback i discovered disgusting underlying racism is still alive and well ..and not even hidden! In our small school we're trying to teach them understanding.. it comes back to their grandparents etc but Im sure we'll get there with this generation. I'm hoping! I wanted the kids to sponsor children overseas in worse conditions than ours will ever experience, but no, the parents were only interested in their own backyard. I dislike that kind of thinking. Our backyards may not join but the planet IS our neighbourhood.

Tony Pucci said...

I work with several Sudanese people. And Cambodians, Bosnians...you name it! I always try to pick up a few words in each language, I'm genuinely interested. I've spent time in Mexico. My point is, people are people, we all have our inherent dignity. To not be aware of and respect that is more than a shame, it is sub-human. The Sudanese are very lovely people...and tall! Peace RPK.